Lowell Park Gate:
Foot traffic is allowed from 6:00 AM till 11:00 PM.
Park gates will be open from 6:00 AM till 9:00 PM.
Non-motorized use of Lowell Park 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Personal Safety and Crime Prevention on the Trails:
- Take what you need: carry personal ID and medication if needed
- Leave valuables at home: if you need to leave valuables in your car, hide them before you arrive. Don’t be a victim of “Crash and Grab”
- Use all your senses: listen for suspicious noises. Don’t wear headphones, they impair your ability to hear someone approaching you from behind.
- Be easy to find: use marked, authorized trails only.
- Have someone waiting: always let someone else know where you will be going and when you will return.
- Report anything suspicious to the authorities
Ruth Edwards Nature Center/Museum
Your visit at the Ruth Edwards Nature Center. Stop in for the latest park information and recreational opportunities.
August Hours at the Nature Center:
First and third Mondays of the month from 11 AM – 2 PM
Every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 1 – 4 PM
NEW- YOGA AT LOWELL PARK FOR THE SUMMER!!
June through August.
Thursday from 6:30 – 7:30 PM and Saturdays from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. No class on August 3. The group will meet along the riverfront in Lowell Park. Wear comfortable stretchy clothing. Bring your yoga mat or a beach towel. ALL ages, gender and experience levels are WELCOME.
August Events at the Ruth Edwards Nature Center
King Kat Tournament Fishing Rodeo – Saturday, August 3 from 10-11 AM
Join the Nature Center staff at PAGE PARK for the Cabela’s King Kat Tournament and Kids’ Fishing Rodeo.
Trivia Night – Tuesday, August 6 at 7 PM
Claim your seat by 6:30 PM with trivia starting at 7 PM. Food and beverages provided. 1st place prize is a one night stay at our Woodcote Cottage.
Campfire Concert – Friday, August 16 at 7 PM
Join us with musical guest John Lindhorst from Ukulele Station in Oregon, IL. Campfire and s’mores to follow the concert.
Nature Fun for the Little Ones – Friday, July 23 from 1-2 PM
Designed for kids 3-5 years old. Learn about the world of butterflies.
Honey Bee Campfire Program – Saturday August 24 from 7-9 PM
Welcome guest speaker Jeff Ludwig as he speaks about honey bees and the importance of these pollinators. S’mores will be provided afterwards.
Airplanes for the Paper Pilot -Saturday, August 24 at 1:30 PM
Learn how airplanes are related to bird flight and make your own paper airplane.
All of the events are FREE and open to the public.
Call the Park Office at 815-284-3306 to sign up for any our programs
Environmental education classes are available for students of all ages. Classes are designed to provide students with structured, hand-on learning that promotes a better understanding of the natural world and strengthens positive environmental values.
We invite you to schedule a whole or half day visit. Please provide a minimum 3 weeks advance notice prior to the date you wish to reserve. Our naturalist will work with your to choose the activities and curriculum that best fit your needs. Call the Nature Center at 815-288-5209
Yowl loves having visitors.
Stop in and say hi!
Alcohol is prohibited in the park
- Motorized vehicles are restricted to the roadways and parking lots only. Parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Following a storm, the gates may remain closed until staff has safely cleared parking areas and roadways.
- Bicycles are welcome on the roadways at Lowell Park. Bicyclist are requested to obey one-way road restrictions.
- NO bicycle traffic is allowed on trails. Snowmobiles are prohibited on park roads and trails, unless posted
There are no camping facilities in the park. Camping is prohibited at Lowell Park
Dogs are welcome at Lowell Park as long as they are leashed and in control of the handler. Dogs are not allowed in the playground areas for health reasons. Please practice Leave No Trace Principles by cleaning up after your pet, i.e. removing all waste from the site and taking it with you.
Fires are restricted to grills or fire rings. Please make certain your fire is out cold before departing. Charcoal grills are provided at each of the picnic shelters
Smoking is prohibited in all Dixon Park District parks
The speed limit is 15 mph, unless posted.
There are no garbage cans at Lowell Park. Please plan ahead for the removal of any waste by carrying out what you carry in.