Lowell Park Gate:
Foot traffic is allowed from 6:00 AM till 11:00 PM.
Park gates will be open from 6:00 AM till 9:00 PM.
Non-motorized use of Lowell Park 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Dixon Park Security: 815-973-2559
Personal Safety and Crime Prevention on the Trails:
- Take what you need: carry personal ID and medication if needed
- Leave valuables at home: if you need to leave valuables in your car, hide them before you arrive. Don’t be a victim of “Crash and Grab”
- Use all your senses: listen for suspicious noises. Don’t wear headphones, they impair your ability to hear someone approaching you from behind.
- Be easy to find: use marked, authorized trails only.
- Have someone waiting: always let someone else know where you will be going and when you will return.
- Report anything suspicious to the authorities
Ruth Edwards Nature Center/Museum
Start your visit at the Ruth Edwards Nature Center. Stop in for the latest park information and recreational opportunities.
February Hours at the Nature Center:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday 1:00-4:00 PM
Join us for the Great Backyard Bird Count on Saturday, Feb 16 at 1 PM. Call the park office at 815-284-3306 to register.
Environmental education classes are available for students of all ages. Classes are designed to provide students with structured, hand-on learning that promotes a better understanding of the natural world and strengthens positive environmental values.
We invite you to schedule a whole or half day visit. Please provide a minimum 3 weeks advance notice prior to the date you wish to reserve. Our naturalist will work with your to choose the activities and curriculum that best fit your needs. Call the Nature Center at 815-288-5209
Yowl loves having visitors.
Stop in and say hi!
Alcohol is prohibited in the park
- Motorized vehicles are restricted to the roadways and parking lots only. Parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Following a storm, the gates may remain closed until staff has safely cleared parking areas and roadways.
- Bicycles are welcome on the roadways at Lowell Park. Bicyclist are requested to obey one-way road restrictions.
- NO bicycle traffic is allowed on trails. Snowmobiles are prohibited on park roads and trails, unless posted
There are no camping facilities in the park. Camping is prohibited at Lowell Park
Dogs are welcome at Lowell Park as long as they are leashed and in control of the handler. Dogs are not allowed in the playground areas for health reasons. Please practice Leave No Trace Principles by cleaning up after your pet, i.e. removing all waste from the site and taking it with you.
Fires are restricted to grills or fire rings. Please make certain your fire is out cold before departing. Charcoal grills are provided at each of the picnic shelters
Smoking is prohibited in all Dixon Park District parks
The speed limit is 15 mph, unless posted.
There are no garbage cans at Lowell Park. Please plan ahead for the removal of any waste by carrying out what you carry in.