Lowell Parkway Trail Enhancement
Beginning in May 2022, the Lowell Parkway Trail and Meadows will begin to see major upgrades, aimed at enhancing the safety, accessibility and enjoyment of two cornerstones of the Dixon Park District.
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources recently awarded the Dixon Park District with a $185,600 grant through the State’s FY ’21 Recreational Trails Program. The program is supported by funding from the Federal Highway Administration program.
Planned upgrades include:
• An observation deck with a telescopic viewer along the Rock River in the Meadows
• Wi-Fi in the Meadows
• Blue Light emergency phone stations in the Meadows
• Improved lighting at the trailhead parking lots
• Improved signage throughout the Meadows marking the trails
• Several education platforms throughout the Meadows
• Bike repair stations at the trailheads
• Repair work on some of the trails that have suffered erosion over the past few years because of heavy rainfall
The budget for Dixon Park District’s upcoming fiscal year includes $50,000, providing the matching funds necessary for the grant.
Work is expected to be finished by April 2024.